Snowflake’s native app and platform offer several features and functionalities that aid in maintaining data governance and compliance with relevant regulations. These features ensure that organizations can implement robust data governance practices, adhere to industry-specific regulations, and maintain data privacy and security. Here are some ways in which Snowflake helps with data governance and compliance:
- Role-Based Access Control (RBAC) and Privileges: Snowflake’s RBAC allows administrators to define roles and privileges for users, granting access to specific data and actions based on their responsibilities. This helps enforce the principle of least privilege, ensuring that users only have access to the data necessary for their tasks, thus reducing the risk of unauthorized data access.
- Data Masking and Redaction: Snowflake supports data masking and redaction, which allow organizations to protect sensitive data from being exposed to unauthorized users. Masking obfuscates sensitive data when viewed by users who lack the appropriate permissions, and redaction prevents certain sensitive elements from being displayed in query results.
- Data Sharing with Secure Data Exchange: Snowflake’s secure data sharing feature enables organizations to share data with external entities securely. Data sharing respects the source data’s access controls and ensures that the shared data is not copied or moved, maintaining data lineage and security.
Other ways in which Snowflake helps with data governance and compliance include:
- Compliance Certifications and Auditing.
- Data Retention Policies.
- Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and Key Management.
- Consistent Data Security across Clouds.
- Governance over Data Access and Usage.
- Data Discovery and Lineage.
By incorporating these features and practices, Snowflake empowers organizations to maintain data governance, meet regulatory requirements, and safeguard data privacy and security throughout their data lifecycle.
Isn’t it interesting? We’ll cover the rest soon in our Q&A section. Stay tuned!